>> THANK YOU.

 

>> THE LEAD ORGANIZER OF

 

SATURDAY'S MASSIVE ANTIVIOLENCE

 

MARCH SAYS HE IS REACHING OUT TO

 

POLITICIANS TO COMMUNICATE THE

 

CONCERNS OF PROTESTORS AFTER

 

POLITICAL WRANGLING AND

 

NEGOTIATIONS WITH POLICE, THE

 

DEMONSTRATIONS SHUTDOWN ONE OF

 

CHICAGO'S BUSIEST ROADWAYS: THE

 

DAN RYAN EXPRESSWAY.

 

MATT MASTERSON WAS THERE AND HAS

 

THE LATEST.

 

MATT, THE PROTEST WAS BIG AND

 

EYE-CATCHING?

 

>> FATHER MICHAEL PFLEGER HE AND

 

YOUTH ORGANIZERS CHICAGO STRONG

 

ARE WORKING TO SETUP MEETINGS

 

WITH MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL AND

 

GOVERNOR BRUCE RAUNER AND THE

 

CANDIDATES RUNNING TO REPLACE

 

THEM IN THE ELECTIONS.

 

THEY WANT TO TALK ABOUT THEIR

 

OWN IDEAS FOR REDUCING GUN

 

VIOLENCE AND HEAR WHAT THE

 

OFFICIALS AND POTENTIAL

 

OFFICIALS WANT TO DO ABOUT IT.

 

>> DID PFLEGER INDICATE WHICH

 

GUBERNATORIAL AND MAYORAL

 

CANDIDATES AGREED TO MEET?

 

>> HE TOLD ME WHILE THEY HAVE

 

HEARD BACK FROM SOME PARTIES

 

THEY WOULD NOT SAY IF THEY HAVE

 

HEARD BACK FROM THE MAYOR OR THE

 

GOVERNOR SPECIFICALLY.

 

THEY PLAN TO KEEP REACHING OUT

 

THROUGHOUT THE WEEK AND THEY

 

WILL GO FROM THERE.

 

>> DID FATHER PFLEGER SAY

 

WHETHER FUTURE PROTESTS ARE

 

BEING PLANNED?

 

>> NOT YET BUT IT WILL DEPEND

 

HOW THE MEETINGS GO.

 

WHAT THEY HEAR FROM THE

 

OFFICIALS AND THE CANDIDATES THE

 

YOUTH SETTING UP THE MEETINGS IF

 

THEY ARE NOT HEARING WHAT THEY

 

WANT TO HEAR, THEN THEY WILL

 

SETUP THE NEXT DIRECT ACTION.

 

HE DID NOT SAY IT WOULD BE A

 

PROTEST OR A MARCH.

 

>> HAVE THE DEMONSTRATIONS HAD

 

AN IMPACT ON THE VIOLENT CRIME

 

IN THE CITY?

 

>> THE BELIEF WAS NOT THAT THE

 

PROTEST WOULD SHUTOFF CRIME BUT

 

IT WAS GOING TO BE AN ATTENTION

 

GRABBING ACTION TO GET PEOPLE

 

TALKING.

 

THIS PAST WEEKEND AFTER THE

 

PROTESTS, VIOLENCE CONTINUED IN

 

THE CITY.

 

THERE WERE TWO DOZEN SHOOTINGS

 

AND FOUR WERE KILLED BETWEEN

 

FRIDAY NIGHT AND MONDAY MORNING

 

AND THE NUMBERS ARE ON PAR WITH

 

OTHER WEEKENDS.

 

THE CITY TOPPED 1400 SHOOTINGS

 

THIS YEAR ACCORDING TO THE

 

TRIBUNE.

 

SO THE LONG-TERM MESSAGE OF THE

 

PROTEST IS THAT PEOPLE ARE

 

LIVING THROUGH THE VIOLENCE ON A

 

REGULAR BASIS AND THEY ARE SICK

 

OF IT AND WANTED TO TAKE A

 

RADICAL ACTION TO GET OTHERS TO

 

REALIZE WHAT THEY ARE GOING

 

THROUGH.

 

>> WHAT WAS THE PROTEST LIKE,

 

WAS THERE VIOLENCE OR ARRESTS?

 

>> IT WAS A POSITIVE ATMOSPHERE.

 

IT WAS ANTIVIOLENCE BUT THEY

 

WERE NOT CALLING OUT GROUPS OR

 

PEOPLE.

 

THEY WANTED TO SPEAK OUT IN

 

FAVOR OF COMMUNITY RESOURCES,

 

ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND HIGH

 

QUALITY EDUCATION IN SCHOOLS.

 

THERE WERE NO ARRESTS ACCORDING

 

TO THE CHICAGO POLICE AND THEY

 

SAY THAT THIS THERE WAS NOT ANY

 

VIOLENCE OR ANYTHING, EITHER.

 

THIS DID NOT APPEAR TO BE AN US

 

VERSUS THEM.

 

INSTEAD PROTESTORS WERE CHATTING

 

WITH OFFICERS ON THE EXPRESSWAY

 

WHILE THEY WERE THERE.

 

IT WAS A VERY COMMUNAL

 

ATMOSPHERE.

 

>> EVENTUALLY, THE EXPRESSWAY

 

WAS SHUTDOWN BY STATE POLICE WAS

 

THAT SUPPOSED TO BE THE PLAN?

 

>> SORT OF DEPENDS WHO YOU ASK.

 

GOVERNOR BRUCE RAUNER HE AND THE

 

ILLINOIS STATE POLICE SAID THERE

 

WAS AN AGREEMENT REACHED THAT

 

WOULD ALLOW THE PROTESTORS TO

 

USE THE SHOULDER FOR THE MARCH

 

BUT PFLEGER SAID NO AGREEMENT

 

HAD BEEN MET IT WAS ALWAYS THE

 

PLAN TO SHUTDOWN THE EXPRESSWAY

 

AFTER THEY MARCHED ON TO THE DAN

 

RYAN THEY GOT A COUPLE LANES

 

SHUTDOWN.

 

AND IT TOOK NEGOTIATING BETWEEN

 

POLICE AND THE PROTESTORS BEFORE

 

THEY SHUTDOWN THE ENTIRE

 

NORTHBOUND DAN RYAN.

 

>> AND GOVERNOR BRUCE RAUNER AND

 

MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL THEY TRADED

 

BASHES ON TWITTER OVER THIS

 

SHUTDOWN.

 

>> RIGHT AFTER THE DECISION WAS

 

MADE TO SHUTDOWN THE DAN RYAN

 

GOVERNOR BRUCE RAUNER WAS

 

DISAPPOINTED WITH THE MAYOR FOR

 

ALLOWING IT TO HAPPEN.

 

CALLING HIM TO PUT AN END TO THE

 

CHAOS AND MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL

 

TOLD THE GOVERNOR IT WAS A

 

PEACEFUL PROTEST AND DELETE YOUR

 

ACCOUNT.

 

THE TWEETS GENERATED RESPONSE

 

BUT THE MAYOR SAID TODAY WHAT

 

HAPPENED SATURDAY WAS NOT ABOUT

 

THEM BUT THE PROTESTORS'

 

MESSAGE.

 

>> MATT MASTERSON THANK YOU FOR